Re: [css3-hyperlinks] inclusion of Clink in next WD

But once it created those links, the selector :not(:link) no longer
applies to those elements which means that the links should be
undone, which means that the selectors applies which means....

So either you get a logical contradiction or an endless cycle.
That was presumably the alarum that was sounded.