Re: thoughts on non-compliant browsers

On 3/7/04 7:12 PM, "J. King" <mtknight@dark-phantasy.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:12:56 -0800, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:
>

>> David Hyatt wrote:
>>
>>>  The text zoom feature does not violate standards in any way.  I'm not
>>> sure why you think it does.
>>
>> Because a pixel should mean a pixel.
>
> If you zoom in on a pixel in a drawing program, it will be larger than one
> monitor pixel but still, for all intents and purposes, only -one- pixel.
> The same applies here.  It's a zoom function that will multiply any value,
> regardless of unit.

Or, for example, if you *print*, a "1px" pixel typically will translate to
3-4 device pixels on a 300 dpi printer.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com> wrote:

> Why does CSS call it a pixel when already pixel has a /relatively/ well
> known meaning?

The /relatively/ well known meaning is that a pixel is not necessarily
(often not) a device pixel, as the printing example has demonstrated, since
oh, about 20 years ago or so.

Tantek

P.S. You can blame browser Text Zoom on IE5/Mac, which invented/shipped
support for it in March of 2000.