Re: CSS3 J. King

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:31:32 -1000, hrhrhr hahaha <kevking@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I broke the cardinal sin of all web coding geeks and referred to
> something incorrectly, which is why I made light of the fact that I
> couldn't remember their names!

It's hardly a sin.  I was just pointing out that the term for referring to
properties does not change every week.

> Because half the bloody browsers out there at the moment still don't
> support full CSS 1, let alone CSS2, half of them all recognise the
> various ways to import a stylesheet without resorting to hacks/filters,
> and some, as we all know, (including, I am sure, you), that half of them
> are buggy if certain legitimate rules are applied to them!

Then current implementations of current technology need to be fixed.
Inventing new technolofy will not help, because you're almost certainly
guatanteed that bugs WILL happen, even if everyone agrees on how it
-should- be done.

> If the border url worked in ANY browser I tested on, it would help.
> Thats why I suggested new CSS styles in conjunction with an assurance
> from ALL W3C browser members that they only recognise the rule when they
> can support the bloody thing. (Some hope!)  Besides, images, however
> small, add more download time.

Any new border-style values that get added now wouldn't work any more
currently than border-image does.  It solves nothing in the present either
way, so the point is moot.  If done properly, images used for borders
would by no means be very large.  It would add some data, yes, but that
much is a given.

> Also, cut the less geeky out there some slack, we're NOT all hand-coding
> 24/7. Didn't you make mistakes when referring to something, ever in your
> life, or are you as perfect in your reallife as you are in your CSS
> referral and coding! Jeez!

I am by no means perfect, but the fine people working on CSS3 work very,
very hard, and I felt that they should be defended.  Your complaints were
for the most part already addressed in working drafts, and what is
actually implemented at all (never mind interoperably) is pretty much
beyond the control of the working group.  They do not ignore the feedback
people send to them.

--
J. King
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/