[CSS21] CSS 2.1 text-transform ambiguity

From: Felipe Gasper <fgasper@freeshell.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:17:22 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org

Hello,

     I am designing a web application for managing accounting data. To prevent
users from "instinctively" holding SHIFT to capitalize, I am capitalizing all
text displayed in form elements (input[type='text'] {text-transform:
uppercase}). This, of course, has no effect on the *actual* data passed to the
application server.

     This technique works in Gecko and IE, but KHTML (both Konqueror and Safari)
ignores this CSS property of the <input> tag, presumably because, technically,
this is not "enclosed" text as the specification seems to point out.

     Perhaps some stipulation should be added to the CSS spec regarding this
useful property?

regards,
-Felipe Gasper
Urbana, IL  USA