CSS and structure

From: Max Romantschuk <max@provico.fi>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:02:48 +0300
To: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Cc: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

> Orion Adrian wrote:
>> Actually, I've found that the lack of structure has made CSS much
>> harder to write. I equate this to writing VBA stuff for MS Word.
>> Rather than have multiple methods taking the different types of
>> parameters, it had one method that would handle all contingencies and
>> the user had to look up the method every time to see what parameters
>> had to be set when in what situations. It's truly a nightmare.
>>
>> This is how I feel when trying to code for CSS. I can never remember
>> what properties are available when. It's also not helpful that the CSS
>> documentation is not presented in such a way as to make this easy to
>> remember.

CSS is not a programming language, nor will it ever be. CSS requires
pattern-based thinking as opposed to traditional procedural programming,
but this is desired. The same applies for XSLT.

 >> CSS 2 has a fairly simple, yet incosistent grammar, and unfortunately
 >> its lack of structure makes it hard to code (i.e. language structure
 >> only exists to help people memorize it, as structure helps
 >> memorization and comprehension).
 >>
 >> Perhaps we need to start looking at introducing more structure into
 >> CSS and revise the syntax, be it another language or not.

Introducing more structure would only serve to complicate the language.
When need be to have more elaborate syntax using a preprocessor is a
good idea. CSS should not be laiden with syntactic sugar more than is
absolutely necessary.

.max

--
Max Romantschuk