Re: min-width:25%

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:34:26 -0700
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Andrew,

> See, I have:
>
> p { width:50%; min-width:100px }
>
> and after that
>
> p { width:50px }
>
> See the problem?
>
> I think that overriding 'width' should force nullifying of 'min-width'.

That is an interesting example and an interesting suggestion, but it sounds to me like you want to redefine the meaning of "minimum".

In your example, I think the width should be 100px.  I think dimensional boundaries should probably trump specific dimensions that would violate the boundaries.

If a developer uses a width that is out of the bounds he himself (and I mean these in the all-inclusive, gender-neutral way) has set, he is the one who has not bothered to redefine min-width and thus created a conflict.  In such cases, I think boundary values should probably prevail, but it might also be prudent for user agents to complain and refuse to apply the styles so developers can fix such conflicts before inflicting them on the public.

Of course, I could be all wrong.  Feel free to set me straight if that is the case.

Kind regards,

Brian Sexton
http://www.briansexton.com/