Re: min-width:25%

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:57:11 -0700
To: "Anne van Kesteren (fora)" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: "Max Romantschuk" <max@provico.fi>, <www-style@w3.org>, "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>

> >   { min-width:25%; width: auto }
> > and
> >   { min-width:25%; width: 50% }
> >
> > are *complete* nonsense I propose to remove percentage
> > from list of available units of min/max-widths.
>
> The first isn't nonsense. Why would it be nonsense?

The only case when
{ min-width:25%; width: auto }
is different from
{ min-width:25%; width: 100% }
is when:
a) parent has width set to some non-auto value
b) this element has non-zero padding, margin, border expressed in
non-percentage units.
c) container width is less than sum of all padding, margin, border (of the
element) expressed in non-percentage units divided by 25% (so multiplied by
4)

I don't think that this has any practical (or usable, or predictable) sense
for a human being.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com