Re: [css3-speech] Proposal: an aural box model

From: csant <csant@csant.info>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:06:30 +0200
To: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

>> The issue is that there is no aural equivalent to 'margin', i.e.
>> there is no way to determine the interval of time between the
>> 'cue-after' of an element and the 'cue-before' of the next
>> element.
>
> How important is this in practice, given the ability to include
> silent preambles and postambles in the audio files for cues?
> These compress efficiently and don't have much impact on file
> size.

What you are proposing here sounds to me like the equivalent of spacer
images. In my view CSS was about trying to offer a flexible alternative to
hardcoded margins or pauses, having an authored layout, but giving the
user a chance to overwrite it. In your proposal I would either no cue at
all, or the cue plus the silence - there would be no way for me to have
the cue but shorten the silence to my liking (speaking from the point of
view of a user).

> If there does turn out to be a strong need for cues to specify
> periods of silence before and after, we could I suppose introduce
> properties like cue-silence-before and cue-silence-after, but
> this would be very messy if we tried to combine them into the
> existing cue-before, cue-after and cue properties.

My take would rather be to have something more flexible than that - after
all, we do not have a border-before and border-after, but a margin instead.

Regards,
/csant

--
[Quote]
"He is old". But she is wrong. It is not age; it is that a drop has