Re: [css3-speech] Comments: 'pause-before', 'pause-after' and 'pause'

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:46:57 +0100 (BST)
To: csant <csant@csant.info>
Cc: www-voice@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, csant wrote:

> * 'pause-before', 'pause-after', and 'pause'
> The keyword values have now been added, indicating the prosodic
> strength of a pause.
> I do not think the prosodic strength can be really measured in the
> pauses:  it is actually measured in the tone inflections of the
> voice before and after the actual pause. A long pause can be
> 'strong' or 'weak', and the real prosodic strength is given by how
> the last word before the pause is spoken.
> I would see a neutral approach of 'x-short', 'short', 'medium',
> 'long' and 'x-long' more appropriate.

The pause properties are tied to the definition of the SSML break
element, See:

It notes: The break element is an empty element that controls the
pausing or other prosodic boundaries between words. I have added
www-voice to the thread, and perhaps the creators of SSML can
respond to your comments on prosodic boundaries.
> The problem of defining pause as being inserted "between the
> element's content and any 'cue-before' or 'cue-after' content"
> will be dealt with in a separate mail about an aural box model.
- --
 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>  W3C lead for voice and multimodal.
 http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett +44 1225 866240 (or 867351)
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)