content: url() for replaced data?

From: Justin Wood <jw6057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:06:47 -0400
To: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

After reading back and forth through a (nearly) whole thread from a few
months back on this issue [1] I have decided on what I feel would be the
best solution to both sides.

content: replaced(url(...), height, width);

such that the record of Image Ian was trying to solve with CSS could be
dealt as such:

img { content: replaced(attr(src, url), 50px, 50px), attr(alt), none; }

or something similar.

This would enable a replaced elem to be created inside the "inline"
elem...which would work as expected when the inline is an anon-box as a
single-replaced elem would designate (or we could always do as url()
alone does for the replaced(...) alone case)

This also allows re-sizing of a case such as

content: url(x) url(y) url(z) "Company" url(logo);

in terms of each section.

Boris, Ian, does this address both concerns?

Any new concerns?

...Others?

~Justin Wood

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Feb/0290.html>