Re: XML incremental rendering, was Re: Standards mode and Quirks mode (was Re: [CSS21] Test Suite)

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:16:05 +0200
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>>Can you point at a spec that says that *anywhere*, even for fringe
> First:
> 2.1 Well-Formed XML Documents
> [Definition: A textual object is a well-formed XML document if:]
> 1. Taken as a whole, it matches the production labeled document.
> 2. It meets all the well-formedness constraints given in this specification.
> 3. Each of the parsed entities which is referenced directly or indirectly
> within the document is well-formed.
> Taken from: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-well-formed
> Second:
> 4.1. Documents must be well-formed
> Taken from: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.1

I see nothing about rendering. I also see nothing about not reporting
information to the application until an error is met. You're not
demonstrating anything.

>>Specs could define what it is supposed to look like. Or they could be
>>flexible and require that a) no further processing be performed and b)
>>the user be informed of the error.
> Right.
> Until we have not such specs any attempt to render partial
> content - (non-valid XHTML document) is a non-standard behavior.

So how do you explain that the SVG spec describes how content can be
rendered as it arrives?

> Otherwise it wouldn't be an XML popular by its strictness but something like
> "Yet another HTML which looks like XML this time".

No, so long as they abort parsing upon WF errors they are 100%
XML-conformant. If you want another definition of a conformant parser,
talk to the XML Core WG. So far you are just repeating arguments that
have been convincingly shown to be wrong by several people.

Robin Berjon