Re: Standards mode and Quirks mode (was Re: [CSS21] Test Suite)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:20:14 +0300
Cc: www-style@w3.org, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

On Jul 24, 2004, at 01:17, Chris Lilley wrote:

> [1] (HTML 4 transitional) Triggers Quirks mode for Netscape

That's not a real problem, because authors of new documents are
expected to use an HTML 4.01 doctype.

> In practice therefore to get best compatibility you need to author in
> XHTML, have a perl script or something that cuts out the xml
> declaration and ensures the string <html or <title is in the first 256
> bytes and generally produces something that will not trip up IE,
> send the processed stuff as text/html to Win/IE and send the authored
> stuff as application/xhtml+xml for everyone else.

If you want the best compatibility, I'd suggest serving HTML 4.01 as
text/html. Certainly, serving application/xhtml+xml to Lynx and Google
does not lead to the best compatibility. Also, if you serve text/html
to IE and application/xhtml+xml to others, you deprive Mozilla and
Safari users of incremental display.

(Yes, Google does not support application/xhtml+xml as demonstrated by
this query:
http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Alite+site%3Amacsanomat.fi)

--
Henri Sivonen