Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 06:58:02 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

> ----- By David Wooley:
> (JPEG also has similar problems; many, probably most, second line authors
> (those used by the vast majority of web sites) will use JPEG for any large
> image, including screen shots, even though screen shots are almost always
> smaller and better in GIF or PNG.)

Of course large GIF images tend to have smaller file sizes because so much
of the original color information is discarded when they are created.  And
of course large PNG images tend to be better in that they reproduce original
images more faithfully than JPEG.  Neither GIF nor PNG, though, is both
smaller and better than JPEG for large screen shots of computer desktops,
modern video games (*NOT* emulated ancient games), or movies--some of the
most common uses for screen shots.  For complex content, JPEG offers a
decent compromise between the two (although personally, I am leaning farther
away from file size concerns toward quality concerns these days).