Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:15:34 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Friday, July 23, 2004, 9:02:57 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> Chris Lilley wrote:
>> IH> No, if you don't conform to it, you don't use it.
>>
>> I was reading some advice that if new elements and attributes were added
>> to HTML 4, the old DOCTYPE should be used rather than one that actually
>> describes them, to preserve this standards/quirks switching.

BZ> Hmm... Mozilla treats all unknown doctypes or doctypes with an internal subset
BZ> in standards mode.  Quirks is only applied to doctypes present in the doctype
BZ> blacklist, basically.

Excellent. I believe that is the best way. although, its tough on people
who make conformant valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional docs (and serve them as
text/html so that Win/IE can display them).

BZ> What behavior do other browsers have with regard to unknown doctypes?

BZ> This would be a good thing to add to that quirks/standards chart that was cited
BZ> earlier in the thread.

It would. Results from more browsers, if available, would be good there
too. I am thinking particularly of Safari, Konqueror, NetFront and the
browser from Openwave.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group