Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:04:12 +0300
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

On Jul 23, 2004, at 00:17, Chris Lilley wrote:

> MM> Maybe the suggestion should be to use PNG's with out transparency,
> (and
> MM> convert the handful of GIF's to PNG).  On the other hand, GIF's
> have been
> MM> around much longer, and seem to have broader, more consistent
> rendering, so
> MM> I'm still leaning toward expressing the CSS 2.1 conformance test
> suite in
> MM> terms of GIF's, and not PNG's.
>
> GIFs do not have more consistent rendering.

If I make a GIF image on my computer in one application and then open
it up in another, it is rendered the same way in both apps. Also, if I
use the same color (in terms of RGB value) in CSS and in GIF, the color
matches in browsers.

The same is not true for PNG.

> They look entirely different on Mac and PC platforms, to take an
> example.

That depends on the display settings.

--
Henri Sivonen