Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:09:31 +0200
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: Mark Moore <mark.moore@notlimited.com>, www-style@w3.org, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, <tantekc@microsoft.com>

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, 4:01:36 AM, Philip wrote:

PT> All of these suggestions seem well-conceived,
PT> but I don't understand the alleged inability of
PT> IE6 to handle PNGs.  I have just tried my IE6
PT> (6.0.2800.1106)/Win-XP against

PT> 	http://uk.tug.org/resources/Graphics/Masthead.png

Have a look at
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha.html
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha-table

Win/IE has an ugly grey opaque background, wheras a browser with correct PNG
support (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mac/IE) displays it correctly.

Those tests are from Nov 2000, by the way, and in fact were first
created around 1998. This is a longstanding Win/IE bug that will not be
fixed, ever.

But indeed, if the tests depend on an alpha, then PNG is the only option
anyway.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group