Question about root element background image position.

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:26:07 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Seems like all active UA's now behave as
like following set by default:

html
{
    overflow:auto;
    width:viewport-width;
    height:viewport-height;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}

So scrollbars appear when needed.

If we change overflow:hidden; then scrollbars will disappear.
Which is IMO logical and right behavior: attributes of root element project
to (allows to define) attributes  of  the viewport.

So far so good....

But if we will try to use background image we have inconsitency...

html
{
    overflow:auto;
    background-image: marble.png;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 0 0;
}

All known (to me) UAs scroll background image in this example which is not
what human would expect as:

any-other-element
{
    overflow:auto;
    background-image: marble.png;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: 0 0;
}

will not scroll the image.
Image will always stay in left,top corner of  the 'any-other-element'.

Any comments here?
What is the desired rendering behavior for the root element?
Shall it be reflected in the spec somewhere?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com