RE: [css3-page] examples in 3.3.2 (page size) are 'US-centric'(?)

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:22:28 +1100 (EST)
To: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Hi Ernest,

My preference for "a4" over "iso-a4" is exactly as I stated: the A4 paper
size is known and widely used. If you specify ISO A4, many people will be
confused and think you mean some variant non-standard size, as people
don't know (and don't *need* to know) that A4 is an ISO standard.

I know that the ISO B sizes and the JIS B sizes conflict. However, the A
sizes don't, and they are in more common use. It makes sense to support
shorthand keywords for the most commonly used ISO sizes.

As to jumping the gun... you will find that we implemented page size
keywords before they were added to the Paged Media draft, and then
proposed them for inclusion back in April 2003 [1]. Discounting the view
of every CSS implementor may give you satisfaction, but I doubt that it
will lead to an improved CSS standard.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Apr/0072.html

Best regards,

Michael