Re: [css3-page] examples in 3.3.2 (page size) are 'US-centric'(?)

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:27:11 +0100
To: ernestcline@mindspring.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org

* Ernest Cline wrote:
>I don't get your point.  W3C specs such as XHTML aren't revised whenever
>another language is added to ISO 639 or another MIME type is registered with
>the IETF.  Rather they just reference the standard and mention where one
>can get the latest list of registered values. Why then should CSS3 Page need
>to be revised when the IEEE PWG accepts a new standard paper size?

A CSS user agent would be expected to support new keywords out of the
box while a Voice Browser would not be expected to support speech
synthesis for a new language or a browser a new image format just
because of new registered language tags or MIME types. If the page
dimensions can be inferred from the keyword that would not be a problem,
but then I don't get the point of using

  size: na_letter_8.5x11in;

(a keyword I would probably have to look up first) instead of

  size: 8.5in 11in;

As an author, what's my benefit if this is added to css3-page?