[css3-page] LCWD issue 21 -- [21] Section 3.3.2

From: James Bigelow <jhb@jhb.boi.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:32:23 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org, ernestcline@mindspring.com

Thank you for your comment on the CSS3 Paged Media Module, archived in:
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Dec/0130.html

Your issue, shown below, has been assigned the number 21.

> Having opened Pandora's box with "A4" and "letter", I feel that the
> standard should either (1) explain why the decision was made to limit
> the listed sizes to just these two, (2) drop these sizes, or (3)
> change the list of predefined sizes and explain why those were chosen.
>
> With "A4" and "letter" as part of the standard, it does not take much
> imagination to suppose that there will be those who try to extend the
> standard on their own.  It would be best if the standard tries to
> control these non-standard extensions is some manner.
>
> For example, one could justify supporting only the ISO defined paper
> sizes (ISO 216). envelope sizes (ISO 269), etc. by way of
> non-hyphenated keywords.  Then if national sizes need to be predefined
> as well, the standard could specify a convention such as:
> <country-code> "-" <name> Thus, we could have "us-letter" "ca-p4" or
> "ja-b4" if including keywords for national standard paper sizes be
> deemed necessary.

A further response will be forthcoming. Please address any replys to www-style@w3.org with [css3-page] in the subject line.

   -- Jim Bigelow, Editor