[css3-page] LCWD issue 31 -- RE: [css-page] New, last draft of CSS3 Paged Media Module

From: James Bigelow <jhb@jhb.boi.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:32:23 -0500 (EST)
To: www-style@w3.org, ernestcline@mindspring.com

Thank you for your comment on the CSS3 Paged Media Module, archived in:
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Dec/0128.html

Your issue, shown below, has been assigned the number 31.

> The terminology of this module strongly assumes the usual Western book
> binding practice of binding a book so that when closed with the cover
> facing the reader, the spine is to the left.  However, as I understand
> it, the usual Japanese practice is to bind a book so that the spine is
> to the right, when the cover faces the reader and thus the odd
> numbered pages appear on the left and the even numbered pages appear
> on the right.
>
> Might it not be better to instead of speaking of left pages
> and right pages to speak of odd pages and even pages?
>
> Even if at this date work has progressed to the point that it is not
> practical to replace :left and :right with :odd and :even, at the very
> least, the explanatory text needs to be rewritten so that it is not so
> strongly left spine oriented as it is now.

A further response will be forthcoming. Please address any replys to www-style@w3.org with [css3-page] in the subject line.

   -- Jim Bigelow, Editor