Re: Typos in the Orange book?

From: Gabriele Fava <gabriele_fava@virgilio.it>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:08:14 -0500 (EST)
To: Robert Nicholson <robert@elastica.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Robert Nicholson wrote:

> I keep seeing the occasional form like this
>
> html>#secondarynav {
>     width: 100px;
>     }
>
> Is the ">" an inadvertent typo or does it have real meaning?
>
> Apparently it's not a typo but I am surrpised to find no explanation
> of this
> syntax in the Orange book.
>
> Oh well off to w3 to see if they can explain what this means.

The > states that the selected element, in addition to having the
"secondarynav" ID, must also be a child (i.e. a direct descendant) of
html. It's not present in CSS 1, and it's not still supported by
Internet Explorer. This may be the reason you don't know it. Read the
CSS 2 specification or, 2.1 at your discretion.
BTW what Orange Book do you refer to?