Re: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visufx.html

Ernest Cline wrote:

[snip]

> I don't see where it would harm the tokenization if for example
> FUNCTION were changed from "ident '('" to "ident w '('".
> as in standard CSS, the left parenthesis is only used
> following a function identifier.

[snip]

> On the other hand I don't see where there would be any
> real benefit either, so don't call me an enthusiastic
> supporter of this either.

The "real benefit" that I perceive, and the reason underlying my
original request, is that some programmers /as a matter of course/
separate function/procedure names from a following parenthesis
by a space, because they believe that it makes the code more
readable.  Such programmers, when writing CSS, would tend to
insert a space between "clip" and the following parenthesis as
a matter of course, and then be confused when a user agent fails
to honour their intentions.  Since no ambiguity could result from
the allowing of white space at this point, I respectfully ask that
the specs. be amended to allow white space in this and all analogous
contexts when they are next revised.

Philip Taylor