Re: [CSS21] response to issue 82

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:40:53 -0500
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:

> The example is a simplification.

It's true that the example assumes no further complications outside
these two rules, but this "simplification" makes assumptions about
conditions *within* the two rules, without even so much as hinting
at them. (It also states what is a contradiction of the tag selector's
definition: that a tag selector alone will only select elements with
default attribute values.)

 > It hints at a solution, it doesn't
> give an algorithm that works in all cases.

It hints at a solution, indeed. It also _asserts_ a false assumption:
that the EXAMPLE selector "will only be used for the default case".

I just gave you a revised set of example text. Is it so awkward and
confusing, by explaining the true nature of this workaround -- the
reason it is necessary and the mechanism by which it works, that
you must continue to use such a misleading explanation?

~fantasai