Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:27:48 -0500
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: "WWW Style" <www-style@w3.org>

> >I'm not sure this answers my question... that was "why is it not possible to
> >implement using the encoding of the document linking to the sheet as a fallback
> >for the sheet's encoding?"
>
> There is no known complete algorithm that reliably yields in the
> required information and it is not possible to develop such an
> algorithm due to ambiguous data.

That's not an answer to the question either.  The "it" that we are implementing
is using the linking document encoding (if there is a linking document) as a
fallback for linked-to sheets.  In what you said, what is "the required
infomation" and what exact problem is your undevelopable algorithm trying to
solve?

Boris
--
Ray's Rule of Precision:
   Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut