Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, 8:12:58 PM, Boris wrote:

>> I don't mind having that rule. I was just wondering if it was worth
>> adding. XHTML 2, e.g., doesn't have CHARSET on LINK anymore.

BZ> But see also <http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/>, which _does_ define the
BZ> pseudo-attr "charset"....

Because it is an exact translation of the HTML link rel="stylesheet'
into an XML processing instruction, with as few changes as possible.

>> I haven't thought about the CSSOM. I just meant "remove" in the sense
>> that the CSS parser may start parsing after the @charset, since it has
>> already been dealt with (namely by ignoring it).

BZ> Ah, ok.  That's not so bad, then.  ;)

Perhaps CSS needs an equivalent to the XML Infoset; what information
is available after parsing. It can then refer to this information in a
consistent fashion, rather than continually crossing levels to refer
to the sequence of characters in the source stylesheet.

>> What goes into the CSSOM I don't know. Does @charset belong in the
>> CSSOM?

BZ> It's useful for saving stylesheets (eg the "save page, complete" functionality
BZ> some browsers support which saves all the associated images, sheets, etc).

Yes.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group