Re: [CSS21] response to issue 75

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 staffan.mahlen@comhem.se wrote:

> There may be a typo in 10.6.1, BTW:
>  formed => former

Fixed.

> Basically i belive that there are major differences in how seemingly
> simple cases of inline rendering is handled in major implementations,

Yes, those are bugs. UAs are getting _much_ closer as time goes on. For
instance, Opera's recent Technical Preview fixes most of the remaining
issues Opera had with the inline box model.

> and that this difference is to some degree caused by the intricate model
> currently defined.

Indeed. I doubt introducing a new intricate model would help matters
though. :-)

> I think previous posts to this list makes it rather clear that the model
> is complex and difficult to understand. In my opinion the path CSS3
> takes is to keep (and expand) the model but make most things any browser
> currently implements defined through a property.

Yes, I think this is probably a bad idea. We shall see if anyone
implements it; if they don't then it will have to be taken out of the
spec. Personally I think the inline box model is fine as is. There are
certainly much more important areas of CSS to extend than this one.