Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:49:36 +0100, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

..

>> I suppose we could just specify such sheets as invalid and refuse to
>> process them
>
>> Or specify that they are UTF-8 (a la XML).
>
>> Both would break most pages out there.
>
> Because most stylesheets out there are in what? Most are in US-ASCII,
> I would guess, since the entire syntax of CSS uses US-ASCII. The only
> opportunities to have anything else are replaced content in:before and
> :after, which is not too common in practice since it doesn't work in
> MSIE/Win.
>
> So, if most stylesheets are US-ASCII then a default of UTF-8 would
> work pretty well.

Mozilla refused to use the stylesheet for www.opera.com for a while,
because the webmaster had put a comment in it... in Norwegian, using the
a-ring character. The stylesheet was send as Latin-1, but didn't contain
charset info, and the referring page was utf-8.

Clear rules on how to handle such a case have their use, I think.

--
The Web is a procrastination apparatus:    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
It can absorb as much time as              |   Documentation & QA