Re: [CSS21] response to issue 115 (and 44)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:49:36 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>, www-style@w3.org

On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 11:41:31 PM, Boris wrote:

>> So, one stylesheet referred to from two different documents with
>> different encodings, might get processed two different ways?

BZ> If want your sheet to be processed the same way no matter what, add a @charset
BZ> rule or have your server send a charset in the HTTP headers

My point exactly.

BZ> .... if you don't
BZ> we're just guessing.

And shouldn't, was my point.

BZ> I suppose we could just specify such sheets as invalid and refuse to process
BZ> them

BZ> Or specify that they are UTF-8 (a la XML).

BZ> Both would break most pages out there.

Because most stylesheets out there are in what? Most are in US-ASCII,
I would guess, since the entire syntax of CSS uses US-ASCII. The only
opportunities to have anything else are replaced content in:before and
:after, which is not too common in practice since it doesn't work in
MSIE/Win.

So, if most stylesheets are US-ASCII then a default of UTF-8 would
work pretty well.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group