Re: [css3-page] LCWD issue 22 -- [22] Section 3.3.2 <length>

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:36:34 -0600
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:
> That's not my understanding.  My understanding is that a pixel is a real
> pixel at typical CRT resolutions (so that bit mapped images align on
> pixels) but is based on a arbitrary number of pixels per inch on high
> resolution mediums.

Not quite arbitrary.  "It is recommended that the reference pixel be the
visual angle of one pixel on a device with a pixel density of 96dpi and
a distance from the reader of an arm's length. For a nominal arm's
length of 28 inches, the visual angle is therefore about 0.0213 degrees."

So we are in fact taking "96dpi" to be the standard "typical computer
display" resolution.