RE: [CSS21] BOM & @charset (issues 44 & 115)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Ernest Cline wrote:

> What about CESU-8 (from UTF#26)?  It shares the same BOM as UTF-8,
> so only the HTTP header or the @charset rule can distinguish them.
> (UTF#26 explicitly bars attempting to determine that the encoding is
> CESU-8 by auto detection.)

Oops, forgot about CESU-8. However, given CESU-8's extremely low status,
and strong wording in its specification against it being used for
information exchange, I feel it is of little more than academic concern.

If the stylesheet said:

   [UTF-8 BOM]@charset "CESU-8";

...then the case is unambiguous (it's CESU-8). If there is no way to
detect between CESU-8 and UTF-8 in a particular document (likely for many
utf-8 cases, I guess) then the algorithm falls to step 6, "UA-dependent
mechanisms", and compliant UAs would then default to UTF-8 (since they
aren't allowed to auto-detect CESU-8).