[CSS21] response to issue 142a

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:35:21 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

This is the CSS WG's response to an issue you raised on the last CSS
2.1 draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915). We want to
publish CSS 2.1 as a CR in about two weeks. Please let us know this
week if you think our response is wrong.

Your e-mail:
    http://www.w3.org/mid/170A2352-0259-11D8-9167-003065B8CF0E@iki.fi
    14.3 Gamma correction
    " Mac using QuickDraw
     apply gamma 1.45 [ICC32] "

    I think assuming a particular gamma based on platform is harmful.
    The display gamma is configurable on the Mac. When the user agent
    and doesn't really know the display gamma, I think it would be
    better not to try to "correct" it. Applying "corrections" based on
    guesses has been harmful in connection to the PNG format. See
    http://iki.fi/hsivonen/png-gamma.html

    "(ColorSync-savvy applications may simply pass the sRGB ICC
    profile to ColorSync to perform correct color correction)"

    The ICC rendering intent is not specified. If a PNG image where is
    marked to be in the sRGB color space, which rendering intent
    should be specified in order to match CSS colors in a User Agent
    that does color matching based on ICC profiles?

CSS WG response:
    Made the text informative instead of normative.

For the CSS WG,
Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM