[CSS21] response to issue 135

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:33:34 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

This is the CSS WG's response to an issue you raised on the last CSS
2.1 draft (http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915). We want to
publish CSS 2.1 as a CR in about two weeks. Please let us know this
week if you think our response is wrong.

Your e-mail:
    http://www.w3.org/mid/170A2352-0259-11D8-9167-003065B8CF0E@iki.fi
    5.9 ID selectors
    Unlike class selectors, the id selectors are defined to depend on
    the IDness defined in the DTD. For performance reasons, Web
    browser can reasonably be expected not to process the external DTD
    subset. Therefore, id selectors when used with XHTML would fail in
    most if not all Web browsers. I suggest allowing the UA to have
    hard-coded knowledge about IDness based on the namespace--just
    like the UA is expected to have hard-coded knowledge about what
    constitutes class.

CSS WG response:
    Yes, note added.

For the CSS WG,