Re: [CSS21] response to issue 92

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:09:50 +0100
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

* L. David Baron wrote:
>> Pseudo-elements are attached to element type selectors or the universal
>> selector; neither of them has a notion of beeing block-level, hence the
>
>The quoted text is not about selector syntax.  It says where the
>pseudo-element can be created.

Interesting. I'd rather say that pseudo-elements *select* something that
already exists (if it exists) and hence "attaching" pseudo-elements can
only be something at the selector syntax level.

>(As far as I can tell, this is just a more advanced form of the same
>misconception that leads people to say "creating a class" when they mean
>"writing a selector that matches an element with a class".)

That's actually a quite accurate statement, since they invent (create)
a new class (name), add it to the document and then use it to attach
properties... A misconception though.