Re: [CSS21] response to issue

On Monday 2004-02-09 13:22 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Bert Bos wrote:
> >Your e-mail:
> >    http://www.w3.org/mid/200310041953.h94JrMkT024123@no-knife.mit.edu
> >    Section 8.1 (Box Dimensions)
> >    <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/box.html#box-dimensions>
> >CSS WG response:
> >
> >    Not a problem since 8.1 is rather vague anyway.
>
> Given that at least one major browser (IE/Windows) actually implements
> this sentence rather literally, I don't see it as being "not a
> problem"....  A lot of people have the impression that te IE/Windows
> behavior is correct, and doing anything to further that impression is
> extremely harmful, in my opinion.

Agreed.  A simple proposal to fix this issue is to change:

  The content edge surrounds the element's rendered content.

to:

  The content edge surrounds the rectangle given by the width and height
  of the box, which often depend on the element's rendered content.

(Note that "width" and "height" are not links to properties, since that
would be inappropriate for some types of boxes, but they could be links
to sections 10.3 and 10.6.)

-David