Re: [CSS2] More on tables

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:18:23 -0600
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/demos/border-collapse-overflow/
>>for a demonstration.
>
> This seems to just be a browser bug. The backgrounds shouldn't spill
> outside the table edge. I suppose this might result in an irregular
> background clipping rectangle.

You're talking about the _quirks_mode_ rendering here, right?  The
question is what is "the table edge"?  And we're talking about a
"non-rectangular background clipping rectangle" (most excellent
terminology!), not a "irregular" one.

That said, I'm not clear on what the problem with the standards mode
rendering is...  Is it not compliant with the proposed spec?  Or is it
just that it's not clear to authors that they need to set a margin if
they're going to do that sort of thing?

-Boris