RE: [css3-page]: Comments on pages media -- issues 41

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) <jim.bigelow@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:51:33 -0800
To: werner.donne@re.be
Cc: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

Your issue, shown below, has been rejected by the editor.  If you have any
further comment on this topic, you have 7 days, until 14 February 2004, to
respond.

> Issue 41
> > 2) Media Queries
> >
> > I'm not sure if expressing page layout in terms of a
> > conditional page size has so much added value. I assume this
> > is for page sizes which are set from outside by the user
> > agent. One can cope with that using relative values. The
> > cases where this is not good enough are, in my opinion,
> > locale related. Wouldn't it therefore be more useful to
> > combine this with the pseudo class :lang for @page rules?

Media Queries are design to work with style sheets that implement a the
graphic design of a page that may shift or change depending on the
capabilities of the UA.  A particular media query is, in effect, a
conditional statement that when true will instruct the UA to load and
process a style sheet. Extensions to the Media Query mechanism are outside
the scope of this document.

Style sheets that are intended to be effective in UA's having a particular
combination of capabilities can include the :lang() pseudo-classes,
attribute selectors and @page rules as appropriate for a specific page
design.

 -- Jim Bigelow, editor