Re: The Conflicting Notions of Ease of Use and Need for Authoring Tools

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:13:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-style@w3.org

> >From a language design perspective I see it as critical that the
> actual language files be cross compatible from environment to

CSS is about the interchange language between producers and browsers, it
is not necessarily a language for interchanging between cooperating
authors (although I'm not sure how much style sheet collaboration
crosses over between authoring tools).

What you maybe want is a new standard for collaborative authoring which
can be resolved to standard CSS in the published page.

To be honest, I might expect any really sophisticated authoring tool to
maintain an internal format, complete with additional meta-data, for
the style sheets.