Re: CSS Suggestion - based-on:

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:09:26PM +0100, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Grammar issues aside, what do you do on a further
>    h1 {
>      based-on: h2;
>    }

That's really a style(no pun intended) I think. Any tool will allow you
 to do it badly. I used the H1, H2 as an easy conceptual example.

> IOW, this opens up for circular dependencies, whereas the current CSS
> way (since level 1) does not:
>
>    h1, h2 {
>      font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
>      color: red;
>    }
>    h2 {
>     font-size: 1.4em
>    }
>
> Okay, to be fair, the cascading rules could probably take care of the
> dependency.

Well, that's fine with that.

The main reason is clutter and unreadable code. The system above very
 easily balloon's into huge rules when creating complex sites. That's
 the problem that I'd be trying to alleviate. Also, I think
 conceptually, having a hierarchy of styles that rely on each other
 fits very nicely with how CSS works at present.

Thanks,

- Kevin