Re: What is missing in CSS?

Slalomsk8er@solnet.ch wrote:

>	.foo {
>		if(.foo.border-width != 0) /* !=  is the not equal operator */
>			{ width: view-width / 2 - .foo.border-width * 2; }
>		else
>			{ width: view-width / 2; }
>	}

This would even pass current browsers (being ignored) with a small change
in syntax: You MUST end the if() { } else { } construct with a semicolon
(property separator) like this (at least if other properties or
constructs follow):

if() { } else { };
-----------------^

Current parsing error handling rules would make this pass current
conforming implementations (unless I have overlooked something...).

>>> Some constants and variables, like window content size.
>> This has been discussed before, it will probably never happen.
>
>This is sad, It is often sayed how mighty CSS is, as a programmer I
>realy question such statements.

Since named constants are an authoring side only issue, this can be
overcome with a decent authoring tool that offers extended syntax in your
source and generates a fully calculated stylesheet at publishing time
(call it a "CSS pre-processor"). I agree that such tools are quite
useful, since constants are what I personally miss the most, especially
for custom colors and indent/margin/padding values.

Variables are a whole different issue and require client support, of course.

Regards, Christian.