Re: [CSS21] Contradiction in the spec with auto-offset fixed-position elements

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:03:21 -0600
To: hyatt@apple.com
CC: www-style@w3.org

David Hyatt wrote,

 > Shouldn't top and left just resolve to 0 for auto fixed positioned
 > elements?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see a use
 > case for auto fixed positioned elements.

That's exactly my feeling... So I would like to again propose that this be
adopted as the specification for auto-offset fixed positioned elements.  It's
much simpler than the "pretend everything is scrolled to 0" suggestion, and
disambiguates the spec just as well, and neither one seems to solve any
compelling use cases the other does not solve.

-Boris