Re: LC Comment - Script & Progressive Rendering / Multiple Pages

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>CSS2 may well be rescinded once CSS2.1 reaches REC, that's still being
>considered. The biggest problem with doing that is that documents
>normatively refer to CSS2, and that some of the features in CSS2 are not
>in CSS2.1 and the equivalent CSS3 drafts have not been published yet.
>Therefore rescinding the spec would result in dangling pointers which
>would require other specs to be rereleased causing a ripple effect.

Other specs are required to be re-released when there are proposed
corrections that affect conformance, so this should not be too much of
an issue. However, this is not actually a side-effect of rescinding a
Recommendation, the only change would be that future Recommendations
must not refer to the specification normatively. The problem is just
that the changes in CSS 2.1 would not be normative changes to CSS 2.0
so other specifications would have to be re-released if the respective
Working Group resolves to refer to CSS 2.1 instead of CSS 2.0.

What we probably can do is Call for Review of Proposed Corrections where
the proposed correction would be "When features common to CSS2 and CSS
2.1 are defined differently, please consider the definition in CSS 2.1
as errata for CSS2" plus the corrections affecting features in CSS 2.0
that are not in CSS 2.1 (if there are any such corrections) and then ask
the director to be excused from the re-publication indefinitely (as we
have pretty much met the requirement with CSS 2.1 anyway). An alternate
approach would be to strip the new features in CSS 2.1 off the document
and publish that as CSS 2.0 SE referring to the CSS 2.1 errata one way
or the other; it would seem this can be done with limited editing
efforts.