[CSS21] absolute positioning and overflow:scroll

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:25:43 -0700

Gentlemen, I would appreciate if somebody will answer or comment the

Taken from [1]:
'top' attribute defines  "how far an absolutely positioned box's top margin
edge is offset below the top edge of the box's"
and for "elements whose containing block is based on a block-level element,
this property is an offset from the padding edge of that element."

1) Can I assume that "top edge of the box's" means "top of content edge of
the box"?
2) What does "containing block is based on a block-level element" mean

And this fragment is taken from [2]:

Finally, consider this case where an absolutely positioned element is mixed
with an overflow parent.

  container { position: relative; border: solid; }
  scroller { overflow: scroll; height: 5em; margin: 5em; }
  satellite { position: absolute; top: 0; }
  body { height: 10em; }

Document fragment:

In this example, the "scroller" element will not scroll the "satellite"
element, because the latter's containing block is outside the element whose
overflow is being clipped and scrolled.

What does "outside" mean here?

BTW: IE, Gecko and Opera all together do scroll such "satellite". Example:

Are there any plans in CSS3 to make position: absolute deprecated?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#position-props
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow

Thanks in advance. Honestly.

Andrew Fedoniouk.