Re: [CSS21] Font-family syntax

Boris Zbarsky writes:

> Justin Wood wrote:
> >>     example { font-family: Trouble: A (Very) Troublesome Type Family &
> >> Interesting Prospect. ; }
> >>
> > Though it can be said where that method is NOT to be written based on
> > grammar/prose  it CAN be written legally syntacticly correct via quotes,
> > which makes the issue moot, in my humble opinion.
>
> As pointed out by Etan, it makes it moot to the _sheet_ author, not the
> _parser_ author.
>
> > where your example would be skipped do to parsing errors.
>
> Why?  This is the issue at hand -- are there parsing errors in Etan's
> example?  It's not clear to me that there are.  If there are, should
> there be?

I think there is no parsing error: the parentheses are balanced and there
are no forbidden characters. I'm not a machine, but I think the tokens
are (omitting the whitespace tokens for brevity):

    IDENT  ->  Trouble
    DELIM  ->  :
    IDENT  ->  A
    (      ->  (
    IDENT  ->  Very
    )      ->  )
    IDENT  ->  Troublesome
    IDENT  ->  Type
    IDENT  ->  Family
    DELIM  ->  &
    IDENT  ->  Interesting
    IDENT  ->  Prospect
    DELIM  ->  .

It matches the general syntax for declarations and nothing in the
'font-family' definition forbids any of these tokens, as far as I
know.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/ERCIM