Re: per-site user stylesheet rules

David,

L. David Baron wrote:
> I've implemented an at-rule allowing per-site user stylesheet rules in
> Mozilla.  It's available in Mozilla 1.8 alpha 3.  This is based on the
> idea proposed in [1], although with different syntax.
>
 >(...)
> @-moz-document url(http://www.w3.org/),
>                url-prefix(http://www.w3.org/Style/),
>                domain(mozilla.org)
> {
>   /* CSS rules here apply to:
>      + The page "http://www.w3.org/".
>      + Any page whose URL begins with "http://www.w3.org/Style/"
>      + Any page whose URL's host is "mozilla.org" or ends with
>        ".mozilla.org"
>    */
> }

I like the idea -- it certainly is a valuable feature to have -- and in
fact it could be augmented with something along the lines of:

   @document url-list "title";

That would select the alternate with the given title, for that
url-matching specification.

That being said, do these things need to be specified in CSS? Or, to put
it another way, is it likely that you will ever send such stylesheets
over the wire? To be honest, I strongly doubt it. The security issues
are too important: if you go to http://dahut.org/ and I send a
stylesheet that has:

@document domain(mozilla.org) {
   :root {
     display: none;
   }
}

I assume you wouldn't want that to apply, especially as I could do
things nastier than that such as attach an XBL keyboard logger to your
bank's site.

So it's limited to local files that will never be interchanged. Does it
need to become a standard?
--
Robin Berjon