Re: CSS Tabs

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:01:02 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> Since Hixie brought to my attention the problem of making CSS tabs
>   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/design/tabs
> I wrote a proposal for handling the basic layout geometry through the
> 'display' property:
>   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/tabs

To clarify the justification for this -
Tabs are different from existing CSS formatting types.
   - They size and wrap into lines like inline blocks.
   - They stretch and vertical-align like tables.
   - They do margin collapsing like neither.

Some use cases:
   navigation atop http://www.alistapart.com/
   links at the bottom of http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/
     (Right now the margins are hard-coded to be wide; they should
      shrink instead of forcing the content to wrap when the window
      gets narrow.)
   tabs at the top of http://www.whatwg.org/
   spaced links atop http://www.opera.com/
   tabs at http://www.xml.com/