Re: Audio

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:52:37 +0100 (BST), Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> We already have a working draft for the CSS3 Speech module which
> is specifically aimed at the CSS speech media type, but we are
> now collecting ideas for how to add audio effects to visual
> media types like screen.

Not only screen. To which media groups would audio be added? Certainly
audio and speech, but maybe also visual? Or is projection going to be
expanded to fit into audio as well?

> The basic requirement is to be able to provide a background sound
> analogous to Internet Explorer's <bgsound> element. But it may also
> be desirable to add sound effects when a button/link is clicked or
> when a text field gets the focus etc.

Actually there was (is) a 'play-during' property in CSS 2/2.1.

And, IMO, it might be desirable not only to add sound effects for specific
elements, but it might also be desirable to control e.g. the overall
volume of an OBJECT - in short, to allow styling of any aural aspect of
the web page. Do system sounds fall into this category? Or should they
rather be targetted by the UI module? How does the UI Module consider an
aural icon? What is the (annoying) "click" when activating a link in
(Internet) Explorer (it's called 'start navigation') - an aural icon? a
system sound? which could be customly used by authors on their page? when
e.g. clicking on a 'submit' button? and shall this go into the 'Audio'
module?

/c

--
[Quote]
And she, remembering other things, to me trifles but torturing to her,