Re: Audio

From: csant <csant@csant.info>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:21:59 +0200
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:55:33 +0100 (BST), Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> If you are just focussing on the need for background sound, it might
> be worth allowing for playlists as well as explicit sound files.
> This doesn't effect the syntax as the same url(address) syntax
> can be applied to both playlists and sound files.
> I would be in favor of a shorter name such as "sound" in place of
> the longer "background-sound".

My attempt was to distinguish between some sound in the background
('backsound') and some sound present in the markup ('audio'). I might have
missed a few properties for 'audio', and based the 'backsound' properties
on the CSS3 Background Module.

> A further feature of potential interest is the ability to add sound
> when a field gets the focus (:focus), or when a link is clicked
> (:active). By staying with "sound" as the property name, we can use
> it on body for the page background sound, and on controls for
> dynamic effects. The CSS specificity rules could be interpreted
> as suppressing the background noise set on the body element when
> a sound property is supplied on a pseudo class, when this has
> a higher specificity.

What would speak against using 'cue' or 'backsound'? Or even

@media audio {
	p:focus { content: wind.wav; }
	a:active { content: blop.wav; }

Mixing/non-mixing should have a way of being defined - though balance can
be done by balancing the sounds with the appropriate 'balance' and
'volume' properties (maybe expressing them in percentages?).

And she, remembering other things, to me trifles but torturing to her,
showed me how life withers when there are things we cannot share.
~~~ Virginia Woolf