Re: [css3-text] Capital spacing

Chris Lilley wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 8 August 2004 in
"Re: [css3-text] Capital spacing"
(<mid:182300782.20040808000317@w3.org>):

> Etan wrote:
>
> EW> But my question is, should the
> EW> spacing between the "V" and "A" (and the other upper-cased
> letters) use
> EW> the default glyph-widths table or the all-caps-spacing glyph-widths
> EW> table?
>
> The latter, as it is known to be all caps.

Jolly good.

> This is a case where the
> correct answers fall out obviously as soon as the different layers of
> bytes, characters, and glyphs are separated out cleanly.

I don't see what the layers have to do with the typographical tracking.
Can you enlighten?

> text-transform alters the glyphs that particular characters produce.
> Fonts are collections of glyphs.

Right (although digital fonts contain information besides the glyphs
proper). Does this relate to the correct answers falling out obviously?

Sorry, Chris; I'm having a brainsludge day.

--
Etan Wexler.