Re: [css3-text] Capital spacing

Bert Bos wrote to <mailto:www-style@w3.org> on 6 August 2004 in "Re:
[css3-text] Capital spacing"
(<mid:16659.42505.884013.479149@lanalana.inria.fr>):

> I think you have to explain a bit more. If the text contains a word
> like "valley" and 'text-transform' turns it into "VALLEY", it seems to
> me quite obvious that the kerning between the V and the A should be
> whatever the font says it should be for V and A, not what it says for
> v and a. It would look rather ugly otherwise.

You have my agreement on your example. But my question is, should the
spacing between the "V" and "A" (and the other upper-cased letters) use
the default glyph-widths table or the all-caps-spacing glyph-widths
table? (Refer to the OpenType registration of the capital spacing
feature
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/type/opentype/appendices/
features_ae.jsp#cpsp>.)

>> May a user agent, in the absence of all-caps tracking metrics, adjust
>> the inter-grapheme-cluster spacing based on heuristics?
>
> I believe that is what is supposed to happen if you set 'kerning-mode:
> contextual'.

I admit that I never understood the {contextual} keyword.

--
Etan Wexler.